Sunday

Book Tutorial at Oh Hello Friend

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm guesting once again at Oh Hello Friend :)
I composed a tutorial about making these little books.
http://ohhellofriend.blogspot.com/2010/10/guest-blogger-sasha-from-guilded-bee_03.html

Here are a few notes after making a bunch of these:
for the spine, lighter, more flexible materials than the cardboard are better.
Things like grosgrain ribbon, lighter weight cardstock, or smooth text weight paper move and flex with the pages.
A couple other things: be sure the pages are aligned perfectly, this is the moment to be finicky. I ran into trouble with pages falling out because they were uneven.
Secondly, be sure to use enough glue on the spine. I had one notebook split along the spine because I didn't have enough glue along the edge of all of the pages.
I tried to be extremely precise with all of the measurements.
On this project, uneven edges show.
I'm still learning about book binding and look forward to trying more styles. :)

14 comments:

  1. That is so fun..I am off to read it right now:)
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this tutorial so much! Beautiful photos. I've definitely bookmarked this and am planning to make a few lovely handmade Christmas gifts. Thanks for the inspiration!

    If you have a spare moment, please do stop by my blog to say hello + check out my giveaway this week!

    Jessica

    livingtheswelllife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you! ;)
    I'll drop by your blog...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVED your guest post/tutorial. They turned out beautifully and I can't wait to try my own! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so great your books... I will try soon... and I think it would be better that I take a translator... So difficult with my small english...
    Thanks a lot and have a nice WE...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool! These would be a great thing to make as Christmas presents for people! Everyone would be really impressed to learn you actually made them yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I just thought of a variation you could do. When I was at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, I had to get index cards for my speech class and I saw blank index cards. You could use those, and make little sketch books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. they are beautiful!! I love your posts over oh hello friend, those flowers are so pretty :)
    your work is amazing!
    Have a wonderful week!
    xo, Thili

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made one with colored cardstock too, you can use so many types of papers, the options seem endless :):)

    ReplyDelete